Mumbai all set for 17th edition of the Tata Mumbai Marathon
Procam International, promoters of prestigious Tata Mumbai Marathon, highlighted arrangements that are in place for the 55,000+ participants on Sunday, 19th January 2020.
The 17th edition of the Tata Mumbai Marathon will see slight changes in the route in timing, start and finish lines across categories.
RACE DAY ARRANGEMENTS
Runners are Tata Mumbai Marathon’s biggest stakeholders and Procam will continue with deploying initiatives towards making race day more memorable for all participants.
MEDICAL ARRANGEMENTS BY ASIAN HEART INSTITUTE
Asian Heart Institute (AHI), the Medical Partner to the event for the past sixteen years in succession has contributed state-of-the-art facilities and services for the runners. With its entire medical infrastructure in place, Asian Heart Institute can aptly handle any medical emergency - injuries, dehydration, or any other complication arising due to long distance running, along the route.
- Ambulances: 11
- Medical Personnel on Duty: 600
- Medics on bikes: 10
- Spotter placed every 100m for the last 2kms of the race to identify participants who need medical attention.
- Medical Stations: 12 (including 2 Base Camps)
- Medical Station Locations: 2 Stations at Jazz By the Bay on Marine Drive, 1 station at Chowpatty, 1 Station at Peddar Road – Cadbury House, 1 Station Before Worli Sealink, 1 Station at Dr. Annie Besant Road, 1 Station at Caddel Road, 1 Station at Bandra Reclamation before the Toll Naka, 1 Station at Aarey Dairy Junction at Worli, 1 Station at Parsi Dairy after Princess Street Flyover
- 2 Base Camps: 1 at Azad Maidan Gate No. 3; and 1 at Inside Azad Maiden opposite Bombay Gymkhana
- One Base Camp Half Marathon Holding Area (Inside Aarey Worli Dairy)
RUN CLUBS ARE AN INTEGRAL PART OF RACE DAY ACTIVITIES
- For the 2020 edition there are 23 run clubs who will be actively involved in managing the Bisleri hydration stations, FAST&UP stations on the course, and giving the much-needed motivation to fellow runners.
- These include Range Runners, Nagar Rising Foundation, ActivNRG Athletic, Rubaroo, JointsnMotion, Pune Running, Amara Runners, ASICS, CYRUNS, Mira Bhayandar Runners, RunBurn, You Inspire Run Club, Liv.Fit, BNP Green Runners, Runners Academy, RuNCourages, Bombay Running, Mumbai Road Runners, Mumbai Flyers, RunBuddies, Striders and Strong & Fit Satara.
GREEN MODE OF TRANSPORT FOR PARTICIPANTS
- Train Services: special trains arranged by Western railway – on train starting from Virar to Churchgate at 2:20am and reaching at 4:02am and slow train from Borivali 3:15am and reaching Churchgate 4:22am.
- Shuttle Bus Services: A total of 60 buses will run. Shuttle bus services start from outside Mahalaxmi Railway Station (western line) & Parel Railway Station (central line) – near Indiabulls building between 3:00 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. will drop participants under Love Grove Flyover.
- For participants from North Mumbai opting to use radio taxi or chauffeur vehicles, please get dropped off at Doordarshan Bhavan where the shuttle bus services will operate to Love Grove Flyover between 3:00a.m. and 4:30 a.m. Please note, all vehicular traffic coming towards South Mumbai, other than official event vehicles, will be diverted at Doordarshan Bhavan.
- Car Pooling: awareness raised at the Expo requesting participants to carpool on Race Day. Car parking stickers only for runners who commit to Car Pool.
START/FINISH + ON-COURSE FACILITIES
For the convenience of the participants, the following facilities are available along the route and at the start/finish.
- Water Stations: 27 stations will distribute over 1.7 lakh liters of water
Flora Fountain, Jazz By the Bay - Marine Drive, Marine Drive near Bank of Baroda opposite Sonewala Building, Chowpatty, Peddar Road opposite Kenilworth, Lala College opposite Lala Lajpat Marg, Worli Sea Face , Opposite Worli Depot, Thadani Marg of Pochkanwala Road, Old Passport Office, Shivaji Park, Opposite Koliwada Mahim Causeway, Bandra Reclamation before the Toll Naka, Bandra - Worli Sea Link (tentative), INS Trata, Worli Sea Face Bombay Dyeing Junction, Mela Restaurant, Nehru Planetarium, Cadbury House, Babulnath, Chowpatty, Outside Wilson Gymkhana, Marine Drive – Sonewala Building,Churchgate outside Stadium Hotel, Parsi Dairy after Princess Street Flyover, Hazarimal Somani Marg, Mahatma Gandhi Road.
- Fast & UP Stations: 12 stations
- Fast & Up Stations: Jaslok Hospital at Peddar Road, Bandra Worli Sea Link, Bandra Reclamation, Veer Savarkar Marg near Mayor Bungalow, Worli Sea Face before Bombay Dyeing Junction, LalaLajpatrai Marg outside Lala College, Marine Drive outside Wilson Gymkhana, D N Road.
- Orange and Salt Stations: 11
- Elite Drink Stations - 8
- Ice Stations - 4
- Cool Sponge Stations: 11
- Chemical Toilets: 350 toilets in 18 locations (Holding area + route including toilets for differently abled)
- Four-sided Urinals: 48 * 4
- On route Public Toilets: 5
- AC Container Toilets for women only at Azad Maidan: 2
- ASICS Warm-up Zone
- Volini recovery zone
- Refreshment Medals Zone
- Towel Distribution Zone
- Volunteers: 2500
- Policemen on Duty: 9000
- Security Guards: 1600
100% WASTE MANAGED EVENT
Tata Mumbai Marathon is a 100% waste-managed event, with a focus on managing waste through the 3R PRINCIPLE REDUCE, REUSE & RECYCLE.
From TMM 2019, the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai has partnered with the event to work closely in the execution and last mile disposal of all the waste generated on-course, the holding area and the event expo.
In addition to this, for effective and sustainable waste management, Procam International is also working with Hasiru Dala Innovations, a social enterprise and Stree Mukti Sanghatana, both focused on creating better livelihoods for waste pickers.
The entire route will be cleared off all the waste generated within five hours of all race category course closures (6:00 pm on Sunday, 19th Jan).
The waste generated in the above areas will be segregated at each location as Dry and Wet Waste. The waste generated includes organic waste, Tetrapacks, PET bottles, packaging material & cool sponges. This dry / wet, first level segregated waste will be taken to the waste segregation stations at the MCGM Ward Office, where further segregation and last mile recycling would be actioned. The used PET water bottles from the event will be sent back to the Brand for recycling.
In addition to this, the other proactive measures taken by Procam International to ensure reduction in waste generated and efficient waste management, include:
Registration & Communication
- Online Entry Forms & E-Handbooks to reduce paper consumption for printing forms and handbooks for applicants.
Plastic usage reduction
- Runners are encouraged through BYOB (bring your own bottle) initiatives. At water filling stations during the event, water stored in bubble jars will be dispensed in paper cups or can be refilled by runners.
- For the first time the tetra pack containers used at the event will not have a plastic straw thus eliminating excess waste.
- Reduction in 70,000+ plastic bottles across the event. There will be no plastic bottles served in the venue. Designated water refilling stations kept in the venue holding area both pre and post finish and on the course, where runners can refill their own bottles or use the provided recyclable paper glasses.
- Reusable Cloth Sling Bags given to all participants (over 55,000)
- Refreshments to be served in recyclable cardboard boxes and handed out in reusable cloth bags to all participants.
- At event Expo, facility would be created for the Plastic cover for t-shirts
- Packaging collection if the runners wish to discard it.
- No polythene bags. Runners will be given reusable cloth bags at Expo and on
- Race day the Refreshments too will be handed out in reusable cloth bags
Flex Upcycling & Greener Signage
- Cloth based signages introduced at key locations to reduce flex-based branding.
- Event flex generated will be carefully slit from the frames, upcycled and reused as floor mats to sort/ cover waste or as roofing sheets/ bags for the marginalized. This will be undertaken by NGO Swabhimaan.
Sewage Waste Management
- All the Sewage Waste generated will be transferred to the Sewage Treatment Plants designated by MCGM
- Food waste from the event will be composted and reused as manure
Race Day proceedings will be live on Star Sports Select 2, Star Sports Select 2 HD and Hotstar the Channel Partner from 7.00 am to 11.30 am.